Monday, 4 February 2008
Cult or Occult?
Saw an article about the dangers of Scientology and the fight against it.
THE WARNING SIGNS:
1. The spiritual group claims to have received special instructions from one or more "messengers from the sky."
2. The spiritual group uses a special set of rules that you must obey or be cast out.
3. The spiritual group promises eternal life in a paradise if you obey its set of rules, and threatens eternal suffering if you do not obey its set of rules.
4. The spiritual group demands that you give up as much of your assests and your yearly income to it as possible.
5. The members of the spiritual group call each other "brother" and "sister," even when they aren't related at all.
6. The spiritual group is led by a group of enlightened masters who wear strange clothes and speak in esoteric parables.
7. The spiritual group demands that you accept its teachings without reservation, even when those teachings are in direct conflict with your understanding of basic scientific knowledge.
8. The spiritual group demands that you select your spouse and your closest friends from its membership.
9. The spiritual group demands that you place your children in its training program.
10. The spiritual group teaches that giving up your life for the sake of the spiritual group may become necessary sometime in the future.
Not so much different from the neocon stuff that threatens us all.